torstai 1. tammikuuta 2009

Plucking eye brows on New Year's eve

Winter has arrived in Egypt. On New Years' eve the temperature dropped to +5 degrees because of ice-cold wind. Gloves and winter jacket were not an overstatement, when going out for shopping. I went out to buy juice, chocolate, mandarins, and strawberries for New Years's dinner. (Ironically enough, the strawberry season is at its peak now, and they are big and delicious). On the way I wanted to buy a knitted, turtle-neck sweater. The clothes store was locked, even though the sign said ”Open” and the lights were on. I asked the neighboring barber's shop where the owner was. At McDonald's downstairs, came the reply. Ok, I decided to hang out and wait for a few minutes.

One of the guys working at hairdressers', next door, peeked out to ask in I wanted to have my eye brows plucked. It is traditionally done with sowing thread that is folded into two, and then rolled and twisted between the fingers, while moving it near the hairs to be removed. ”Only 5 minutes! You'll get it for 20 pounds.” (2,5 euros). I agreed, since I had planned to do that anyway in one of these days, and I thought after that the clothes store may be open again.

The barber's saloon was full of young Egyptian guys – at least 5 working, and other 5 as clients. Everyone took a good look of me, but later my ”beautician” assured me that they also have female clients. The Arabic people prefer woman's face to be ”as white as moonlight” (why talc and bleaching face creams are popular here), and without any facial hair, excect eye brows. Therefore I was not surprised when the beautician asked if I wanted also other facial hair removed (forehead, cheeks, above top lip). Even though my facial hair is invisible and minimal, this is standard procedure. One could describe plucking eye brows more accurately ”plucking your face”. I need to add that the shops here don't feature women's leg/underarm shaving gel, only for men's beard, so that's what I use :-) There is a copious supply of wax strips, because the local women also shave also their arm hair.
Now that this procedure was completed, the guy started speading lotion into my face and massaging it in. Then he asked if I also wanted a facial mask and steaming. I gathered this was not part of the plucking deal any more, so I asked the price. ”Only 5 minutes! For you, everything only 50 pounds. Your face is very dry after sun and wind.” The latter part was quite accurate, since I had returned from sea trip few hours earlier. It had been so windy that I almost flew off the captain's bench on the top deck, as I helped him maneuver the yact in heavy wind.
I decided I needed full facial works, so there was more massaging, cream, steaming, and of course tea to drink. Twenty minutes later the treatment ended with a hot towel on my face, followed by a cold one. Voilá! The massage was wonderful, and my skin hasn't felt as soft for weeks. Talk about value for your money!
In the meantime the clothes store had re-opened, and I could purchased my knitwear. Then I proceeded to buy mandarins (”How much?” Normally 2,5, but today for 2 pounds, because it's New Year”, and off I went to prepare New Year's dinner with my flat mate.

Ei kommentteja: